Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Daily Check In Space

All we can do is to do our best for our kids @Healandlove , @lavenderhaze 

Can I ask why you think you must be doing something wrong 🤔 my friend 🧡 

@Shaz51 , I know you are right. Logically that's all we can do.

I guess it's my insecurity from going through trauma to passing it on to them...

Very understandable @Healandlove and we all wonder 

Like me having no children of my own  and becoming a step mum to 4 little darlings who all have MH like their dad , and know they are all in their 30's 🤣😂

Hi lovely @Shaz51  Good days bad days sweetheart as many of us do. My girl still estranged from me but at least the occasional txt these days. I’m told she is stable in the sense that no hospitalisation for some years now and still undergoing ECT x 5 weekly as well as depot. Gosh the years are slipping by since I’ve seen her, coming up to 5 now. Some days the weight of this leaves it hard to breathe. I have a good cry and then move on. Getting better at moving on these days in that I’m not letting the sadness of it all get the better of me. I still live in hope that one day she will agree to a visit 🙏

You are beautiful @Krishna .

Absolutely a gem. I'm so glad to hear your daughter is in a better place. I hear how hard it is that you haven't seen her in a long time. Yet deep down, I'm thinking she wants to be the best version of herself before she sees you.

I've mentioned it before, but it took 10 years for me to see my parents or even talk to them. This was not because I didn't love them. I just couldn't let them see how bad I was.

You are very close to my heart and I always think of you @Krishna  Hugs

Hi @tyme  You’ve brought tears to my eyes sweetheart as you’ve been a constant on this journey and your right, my girl wants to be more stable before she sees me whereas it makes no difference to me. I’m grateful for the occasional call or txt even though it is always for money for food which I these days organise through online delivery. Anyways, thanks tyme for your care compassion and support. Means the world xx 🙏❤️🌹

Hey there @Healandlove 🙂🌺💜

thanks for your lovely message, and sorry for the delay.. I haven’t been as well as I’d like lately, and I live alone so I have to use energy where it’s most needed each day, and pace things well 🌺

your words really resonated with me… I found I came to a place where the unconscious, in-built hierarchy of respect to siblings and parents dissipated, and I saw the relationship dynamics through a new lens of objectivity. I could see how the behaviours and dynamics had shaped my own behaviours and nurtured an ability in me to compromise, sacrifice, and placate - all in my nature to keep the peace and have a semblance of harmony and love. I became the firefighter, putting out fires, when others took it upon themselves to start them. 
My parents and adult carers didn’t see how these dynamics were uncontrolled for by them (they had little in the way of good parenting skills), and thus blamed others a lot for disharmony, and as a result enacted significant and severe disciplinary actions. 
It was this behaviour that brought me to the realisation that there was a lot more going on than just me being wrong or ‘misbehaving’; I was but a very small inconsequential part of a series of interactions that were perpetually unhealthy - none of it my fault (I think I was around 5-6 years old when I realised this, so I went through the rest of my life knowing I’d do things very differently). 
When my youngest brother was born, I took care of him like he was my own, and spoke to him every day from as soon as he looked at me, about how relationships work, how to manage conflict, and what was happening around him, so he wouldn’t grow up with deep confusion about relationship dynamics. I spoke to him about everything in terms of how the world works, in a fair, plain, unbiased way, from a curious point of view. I did this because I didn’t want him to be a prisoner of the mind in terms of relationships and dynamics/hierarchy, when things aren’t nurturing. 
One of the hardest things has been the knowing that these adults had no idea what they were doing in terms of appropriate parenting, and took out their angst in patterns of learned behaviour from their own trauma, or just out of sheer frustration with their own lives, on the little people around them - who really had no idea why, but tried to do their best to fit in and find their place anyway, which often resulted in many compromises within themselves. Anyway, this is what I observed as I grew up, and as much as I analyse my own conclusions, I can’t seem to find any other explanation I’m my case. 
I thought I’d write it so you could have a glimpse into another persons thoughts about family dynamics, relationships, and compromises that those without power and limited choices have to make, and how that can influence them then and now. 

As a result of my experiences, I feel like I see way too much of the relationship dynamics, and very little of the simple nurturing care that should be chosen much more often to share, so I have (even before I was unwell) chosen to spend most of my time alone…a consequence of some of my experiences. 
If I’m hurt, I seek to be alone. I think that - to varying degrees - happens when there are hard-to-navigate emotions attached to relationships. 

I guess one of the most important things was knowing that it’s not just me, and not just my job to fix ‘me’, but to learn to not be responsible for what was not ‘me’ in terms of the dynamics 🙂🌺

sorry for rambling on a bit… I’m a bit exhausted today 🌺

take good care of you, and know you have lots of care and compassion here - and a big hug from me 🤗🌺💜☺️

1) How are you feeling? 

Today I am emotionally exhausted.  Last night after organising a welfare check I broke down and cried.  I'm worried that I am not doing enough.

2) What is one thing you have struggled with, and one thing you have done well?

Realising I've done all that I can

Talking to people - I am not always able to talk

3) What is one nice thing you can do for yourself today?

Go to the gym

Hello @Darcy1 , @PinkFlamingo , @Krishna , @tyme , @PeppyPatti , @Faith-and-Hope , @Appleblossom , @Healandlove , @Trishcarer , @Mother1 , @Bluewren57 , @Lucia2024 , @Duckie18 , @Big_red , @MedicinalGypsy , @TGKC , @Pem , @Equestria101 , @Friendlyflutter , @Blackbird11 , @tyme , @Jynx 

193733559_2056692757836841_4427498390677416262_n.jpg

hello @Darcy1 , thinking of you lots today , here for you if you like to share xx

Pretty vulnerable last couple months @Shaz51 hanging in there 

close to leaving actually but I do have more support than at any time previously 

thanks for asking 

love you too

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Connect With Us

Contact Us

50 Barrack Street, Hobart Tas, 7000
(03) 6215 4200
info@hobartcitymission.org.au