Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Quitting smoking

Hi @eth,

I have never smoked so I don't have any experience at all in this area. However, I wanted to let you know that I deeply admire your desire to quit smoking and I am happy to be a cheersquad for you if you think it would be helpful. Smiley Happy

Thankyou very much @Phoenix_Rising  any support is more than welcome!  I am struggling with cravings this morning - the start-of-the-day smoke seems to be the hardest one for me to kick and I'm trying hard not to give in to it today.  Hence passing time here and focusing on the reasons I want not to smoke.

Thanks for your thoughtfulness.

@eth when I was working at quitting something (a behaviour, not a substance), I made myself a star chart. That may sound really childish to you, but it super helped me. I am extremely task/goal orientated and I got huge satisfaction out of putting a star on my chart at the end of each day that I achieved my goal. I accept that it isn't for everyone and it's totally ok if you toss this idea in the "that's stupid" basket. But I thought I'd just put it out there. Smiley Happy

Thanks again @Phoenix_Rising  I'll think about doing that.  I don't think it's stupid at all - whatever works is ok.   I am keeping a tally of when I smoke and it feels good to see it reduce each day.  Sorry I didn't reply sooner but I had to restart my computer for update installation.  

@eth - Something that might help in the morning is breathing meditation - I got a great little app for the phone to help with my anxiety it is called BREATHE and the logo is a white circle with dark blue outline on a white square. You can set it to a long or shorter breath cycle.

I also changed my behaviour in the mornings, made my morning coffee and drank it standing up or wandering about the garden to do something 'different'. Well done you on cutting back already - hope the Allen Carr book helps and weekend is the beginning of a much better lung life for you. ❤️ all the very best with it.

Hi everyone!

Apologies about not responding to this thread. Unfortunately I quit for eight months and started again.... So I have been reluctant to post, a little embarrassed. I can't believe I picked it up again, and it took will power to actually start again. Why? Well I don't know. However, I need to quit again, and I am in the process. I am currently 5 chapters into Allen Carr's book, wonderful timing to get this thread going again.

Let's do this!

regards,

Rosie

Hi @Rosie  thanks for joining in.  Good on you for trying again.

Good morning @Phoenix_Rising  @MoonGal  @Hope4me  hope today is going ok for you all so far.

Yesterday I got down to 1 1/2 cigs in the 24 hrs but today I've already had 2.  I find the very early hours and the next time I wake very difficult times to not smoke.  Last night I promised myself I wouldn't do it and then I did it anyway - so feeling critical of self again by now.  I think my chest infection is lifting and my cravings are getting stronger now that I can breath easier.  How ridiculous is that?  

Hi @eth and @Phoenix_Rising,

I have decided to quit again on 8th January. The day my partner goes back to work. And no small part because we all reconnected. I was devastated I started again, really, and want to give it another red hot go.

How are you feeling today @eth? Any better?

@Rosie - I know that feeling of embarrassment all too well. Especially after nearly 4 months without a smoke. But! I need to remind myself how much better I felt - AND how good it felt to have achieved what I did. So I am gonna have another go at it. Telling you gals is part of the plan, not telling anyone means I can just slide over that date.. now I have to be accountable (I hope!).

Dear @MoonGal

I think your amazing for setting a date........

onward @MoonGal HeartHeart

Best wishes for your success @MoonGal.  I'm still surrendering to the pull a few times a day and not feeling ok about it.  Planning to have less again today if I can.  I got down to 1 1/2 two days in a row last week.  Today and tomorrow will be challenging - psychologist today which can be quite heavy, and tomorrow is my teleconference with disability advocate, administrative appeals tribunal and NDIS representative which I'm really anxious about.  If I can do it now I know I'll feel much better about myself and also my family I live with will be much happier and... all the reasons.

The Allan Carr book is helpful but I seem to be delaying reading the last couple of chapters - and thus delaying D-day.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Connect With Us

Contact Us

50 Barrack Street, Hobart Tas, 7000
(03) 6215 4200
info@hobartcitymission.org.au