Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Boo13
Community Guide

Very confused

Hi,

i haven't posted for a while because my son (17) who has schizophrenia has been stable and responding well to his treatment.  We are very fortunate.  I would consider him high functioning despite his illness.  He is studying year 12 and has dreams to go to university.  His father and I know he is intelligent and could achieve this and understand that for many this is something that will never happen, so should be grateful.

His grades are slipping and he says he is trying.  I am not convinced he is really applying himself, but was wondering if this could be in part due to his illness?  He hates receiving any constructive feedback on his work and will often submit without getting feedback from his teacher or us.  This is not helping him.  Again, is he avoiding potential constructive criticism due to his illness?  He says he is well, but I am worried.  He is desperate to find a girlfriend and in doing so is very pushy and girls stop talking to him.

just at a loss to understand if I am being hyper sensitive or if perhaps I am on to something not being quite right!

7 REPLIES 7
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Very confused

@Boo13 

Sadly you may well be onto something and it might be wise to contact your son's treating team.  There are many charts available, similar to the one below that show the course of Sz . How early intervention, treatment response and adherence affect this would be a question you might want to raise with his psychiatrist.

images (14).jpeg

Wow,  what loving parents you both are. .. Sounds like you son is really doing the best that he can and is so aware of his own limitation and challenges.. If there is no timeline for his studies... Maybe,  and it's only a suggestion,  take time out with him if "your" permits and step in 4th o his world even more so, put study aside for the moment and connect together no matter what that may be... Break the pattern as it's so recharging. .. For me,  when things seem very overwhelming,  I try and drop what I'm doing,  seek out a rain forest,  sit on a rock or by a stream and let nature reserve charge and heal... Just a though.. . Remember,  your son chose you both as parents before he can into the physical world. ..such a blessing

Would love to also recommend a great book to read

"Lost Connections" by

Johann Hari

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Alchemist .  I 'spoke' to you on the Intro thread earlier.  Its great to see you starting to get around some of the other threads.  I just wanted to point out to you that when you are responding specifically to someone, as you have here to @Boo13 , you can 'tag' them by typing in an @ symbol.  When you do that a drop-down list of other people already on this thread will come up.  So just select whom you wish to 'speak' to.  That then means they will receive a notification that someone has responded to their post.  Hi @Former-Member  👋

Sherry 🌺

ohhhhh @Boo13 , I have been thinking of you lots this week my friend

sending you lots of hugs Heart

Hello @Former-Member m, @Alchemist , @Former-Member 

@Shaz51  thank you. @Former-Member @Alchemist @Former-Member  Life has its ups and downs, swings and round abouts.  Gratitude for the little joys go a long way in making it all worthwhile

Hi @Boo13 

We are having similar experiences with my 18yo daughter, she has characteristics of BDP and ASD and has been studying year 12 part time. She also has university as her goal for 2020, but this term everything seems to be slipping. Her focus has gone and the more things pile up the worse it gets, she has rarely attended school and all her work still due. On top of this she is pushing away her boyfriend of 3 years, who is also her last remaining friend. I strongly suspect that she is not sharing quite how desparate she feels with her pyschologist and is instead pretending that everything is fine. I have also realised that the more I try and encourage different behaviour the worse she seems to get and the more likely she is to not try. Medically, she is changing her medication, and as a result of turning 18 is also about to change pychologists (I'm hoping that this will be a possitive). Like you I feel throughly confussed and sad that her life is so hard. It is very hard to watch from the outside and makes me feel powerless. It also makes life hard for the rest of the family. What I do know, like you, is that I will not give up on her and that I will try again tomorrow.

Thinking of you!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Connect With Us

Contact Us

50 Barrack Street, Hobart Tas, 7000
(03) 6215 4200
info@hobartcitymission.org.au