Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Tranquillity
Casual Contributor

Schizophrenia

Given the horror and tragedy in Bondi recently due to the actions of a schizophrenia diagnosed man who had been taken off his antipsychotic medication, the issue of mental health support is being hotly discussed on various social media platforms.

Unfortunately, as most of us with direct experience of someone we know or ourselves having schizophrenia know, stigma and misunderstanding in the community prevail with the schizophrenia label. There are many who think schizophrenics could be a risk to the community if they are not medicated, and the events of the last week serve to entrench such views. 

My own view, as one who has a schizophrenia diagnosis and spending time in mental hospitals, is that there should never be a one-size-fits-all approach to treatment, especially for a complex mental health condition.

Not every schizophrenic always needs to be medicated, for example, contrary to some of the community misunderstanding one encounters.

The other aspect to this I've noticed is that almost every post and comment I've read discussing this tragedy, the focus has been on mental health. But what is glaring to my mind is how easy it appears to be to be able to purchase a dangerous weapon—not simply a kitchen utensil but a military grade weapon. Even for someone without mental illness, to be able to easily obtain such a weapon is concerning. Are there no background checks? Is there no register or record of who is purchasing such weapons and why? How much more concerning it is if someone with a mental condition can readily obtain such a weapon.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Schizophrenia

We hear you loud and clear @Tranquillity .

Have you seen SANE's response to the Bondi incident?

You can read it here https://www.sane.org/news/incident-at-bondi-junction?highlight=WyJib25kaSJd

Thank you for your reply, @tyme. I wasn't aware of SANE's official response to the Bondi tragedy. It seems to echo some of what I was airing here. Thank you for sharing.

Know your voice is heard. This response went out as an email to all who are subscribed to the range of SANE's services. It has reached a huge audience.

We are united 🙂 @Tranquillity 

@Tranquillity @Glad you raised it personally. It was respectful and I agree.

somehow means more to me than an official response 

but thanks also @tyme @will go and look

Thank you Sane for your sober thoughtful public statement.

It was necessary given the situation. Consequences will be many… Eg in considerations of MH tribunals… etc etc.

However, One comment…

can Sane please be a bit more humble about being “the” national organisation representing ….  Us… and possibly say “a” or even “a major”…. 

as a person with lived experience from 1970 … I am tired of what I am going to call managerial class grandiosity…. to borrow from a symptoms checklist. I know all the organisations want a piece of funding pie… but am tired of them all wanting to be the best… or premier…or peak…  marketing marketing etc…there are many MH organisations. I would respect this organisation more. We all need to earn respect too… its a complex behaviour.

with kind respect, your words very well said @Tranquility 🙂

Just speaking on the access to items that could be harmful, like hunting equipment...as a private citizen with former licences to carry and transport all sorts of items which could be classified as dangerous, I personally went through rigorous training, and lots of experience at the side of people with even more experience than me, to be able to get licensed, purchase, carry, and use a variety of mechanical and inert items. The processes in place for checking backgrounds, and then maintaining licensing is somewhat rigorous, however I do think more could be done here. However, there is a very important point here and that is how do we monitor and regulate things coming in from anywhere that doesn't require these checks by sellers (for eg, if I go to a local Au store for these items, they take everything about me besides a sample prior to issuing anything I want to buy, and some items have a wait period before collection), and those things then arrive via the mail that is extremely hard to monitor in terms of every single package that comes into Au. Then they can be resold, over and over, never setting sight inside a registered and licensed hunting retailer, never having a serial number, or never having a sales and owner provenance. 

At least, that is how it was the last time I was in need of items like these (I used to co-manage a primary production property some years ago). 

The worry I tend to see is the monitoring and management of the so called 'black market', I guess, and who should be watching out for these items. How do we effectively prevent circulation, then track/trace what is out there? 

It's a complex and difficult thing to navigate, based on those of us who were extremely responsible and worked closely with local councils and authorities. 

Sadly, this was a tragedy all round, and I feel very sorry for everyone involved, however you do have a very important point, to be sure 🌺

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Connect With Us

Contact Us

50 Barrack Street, Hobart Tas, 7000
(03) 6215 4200
info@hobartcitymission.org.au