Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Tennessee
Contributor

What’s the diagnosis??

Hi! I haven't posted for a while... sometimes I've thought about it when I've been overwhelmed but then the thought of all the one finger typing I'll have to do puts me off! Well... really I suppose I mean there's just so much to say. But I have a question about how do others go with communication with their loved ones Dr? When my son was in hospital I did see the dr with him on two occasions.. the last being just as he was discharged. At that stage the Dr was thinking that my son has some sort of BiPolar. My son is only really comfortable with ADHD diagnosis  and then depression caused by failure. Adhd was not diagnosed until he was an adult. So he is on Bipolar medication and adhd meds. Just lately I have been thinking he's not much improved at all. He was discharged in Feb ... was going to some clinic groups until Covid.. now does group on Skype. I've asked to be involved with drs appointment.. thing is some things  will be difficult to say to Dr in front of him.. my son denies that he drinks too much alcohol... but while it's true that he has some alcohol free days when he does drink it could be as many as 8 drinks.. or a whole bottle of wine and a couple of mixers. I think the Dr needs to know this especially as it may affect efficacy of his medications. Any thoughts people in similar situations? My son is 33 and has been living back with us for over a year. 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: What’s the diagnosis??

hello @Tennessee and welcome back my friend 

Is your son still taking his meds ?

has he have a health care team that you can ring 

alcohol does have affects on medication 

@Former-Member, @Faith-and-Hope@Jay-e 

Re: What’s the diagnosis??

@Shaz51

thanks he's in touch with dr he saw in hospital... but doesn't seem to get on with him..I'm I touch with carers group... but if my son doesn't want me to talk to his dr I don't know what I can do.. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Connect With Us

Contact Us

50 Barrack Street, Hobart Tas, 7000
(03) 6215 4200
info@hobartcitymission.org.au