Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

tyme
Community Lead

Peer Group Chat// Feeling Isolated and Lonely // Thursday 18th April 2024, 7-8:30PM AEST

On Thursday 18th April 2024, we will be holding a Peer Group Chat on the topic of Feeling Isolated and Lonely.

Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 4.39.24 PM.png

In this chat we will be discussing feelings of isolation and loneliness, and how we might be able to feel more connected with others. Let’s come together to hopefully feel a little bit less lonely!

The event start times across Australia are below:

tyme_1-1713335865700.png

This is currently held in Australian Eastern Standard hours:

WA: 5pm

NT: 6:30pm

SA: 6:30pm 

QLD: 7pm

NSW, ACT, VIC & TAS: 7pm 

For anyone unfamiliar with Peer Group Chats, each focuses on a specific topic and is guided by Peer Workers with lived experience of mental health issues and recovery, &/or caring for someone with complex mental health. A counsellor is also present as a moderator to help ensure a safe environment for individuals and the group. It is a space for us as peers to share our stories and experiences, and connect with those who are going through something similar. 

Peer Group Chats are hosted outside of the forums, using a platform called Chatwee. To join an Online Peer Group Chat, you will need to register for an account with Chatwee. On the night, follow this link and log in to your Chatwee account before the group starts.

Please see this FAQ for any questions you may have. For any issues on the night, please message the moderator of the group on the Chat platform. If you'd like to receive a reminder closer to the event, please support this post & we'll keep you updated.

Tagging @Schmeeges @Jacques @Snowie @Shaz51 @Captain24 @Eve7 @outlander @PinkFlamingo @Blackbird11 @Birdofparadise8 @Glisten @7cough9 @Oaktree @Appleblossom @Patches59 @Bella5 

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Peer Group Chat// Feeling Isolated and Lonely // Thursday 18th April 2024, 7-8:30PM AEST

Please note changes in start time due to reverting back to AEST 🙂

Re: Peer Group Chat// Feeling Isolated and Lonely // Thursday 18th April 2024, 7-8:30PM AEST

Reminder: We will be starting our Peer Group Chat shortly. This will be on the topic of Feeling Isolated and Lonely

@Schmeeges @Jacques @Snowie @Shaz51 @Captain24 @Eve7 @outlander @PinkFlamingo @Blackbird11 @Birdofparadise8 @Glisten @7cough9 @Oaktree @Appleblossom @Patches59 @Bella5 @DogMan79 @Mia16 @Angel5960 @SmilingGecko @Whirlycustard @Daisey @SN1 @mmnm @Vallee98 

Peer Group Chats are hosted outside of the forums, using a platform called Chatwee. To join an Online Peer Group Chat, you will need to register for an account with Chatwee. On the night, follow this link and log in to your Chatwee account before the group starts.

Can you please refrain from tagging me in threads which I haven't participated in, please thyme?

It's OK if you are directly replying to something which I have said

Sure thing @DogMan79 

@Shaz51 @Zoe7 @Snowie @chibam @Undertheweather @Patches59 @Calie @PinkFlamingo 

Thanks to everyone who joined tonight. Here are the questions for this evening. Feel free to continue this chat here:

Q1: Can you share common situations where people may find themselves isolated? What about uncommon ones? 

Q2: How can isolation bring up feelings of loneliness? 

Q3: What can be some signs that someone is feeling lonely? Is loneliness always a problem?

Q4: Can you share some strategies that have helped you to feel less lonely? 

Q5: What are some of the benefits of staying connected? 

Q6: What are some strategies that help you stay connected? 

Q7: Can you share a time when you’ve felt the benefits of staying connected? 

I am a little different in these scenarios as I do not often (rarely) feel lonely. I prefer being on my own, with my fur babies of course. I feel the most lonely in large groups/functions etc. I can connect with people, do the small talk thing and be engaging in these situations but they are certainly not my thing. I know it is widely accepted that we are social animals and need connections/social interactions - which I suppose I get from my work - but outside of that, face to face interactions are not what I crave nor seek. This was not always the case - I used to be a very social 'butterfly' but not my thing now - maybe knowing myself more and maybe priorities in life changed...

I agree with you @Zoe7 ,

I super satisfied to be alone. 

I think there is a clear distinction between being alone and feeling lonely. 

At the moment, my life is so full, that I don't seek or crave to be around people. 

Thoughts Anyone?

Yes @tyme There is a big distinction between being alone and feeling lonely. Much like you - I have a full life. Work and volunteering take up a major part of my life and both are very fulfiling, but when I am home, I am with my fur babies and that brings me a lot of extra joy - so I have a good balance.

@tyme Is it loneliness when you choose to be alone?

I am alone often and I like it that way. Interacting with others and having to leave the house increases my anxiety. 

Another point is I think you can be surrounded by people yet still feel lonely. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Connect With Us

Contact Us

50 Barrack Street, Hobart Tas, 7000
(03) 6215 4200
info@hobartcitymission.org.au