Skip to main content

Re: Topic Tuesday // LGBTQIA+ & Mental Health // Tues 29th September, 7-8:30PM AEST

@Jynx - I feel so guilty for being non binary and not being able to come out to my family because I know they won't accept me for being non binary and being bisexual..... 

I'm afraid of telling anyone who I actually am because I have a feeling they will judge me for who I am... 

Re: Topic Tuesday // LGBTQIA+ & Mental Health // Tues 29th September, 7-8:30PM AEST

Hi @Rebel welcome and thank you so much for sharing. You touch on some really important points. I do see a theme in low self worth in people navigating within minority groups, I think we have to work a bit harder at keeping our self-compassion levels high. I just want to give you huge props for mentioning "hetero-norm" and "homo-norm". I have been incredibly frustrated at similar, even being on dates and being told I wasn't "butch" enough, and at other times "not femme enough". Can't win sometimes! I am lucky I eventually met my partner and none of these labels or expectations have been placed on either of us but wow, what a journey it is 🙂 Thank you for sharing this and please know our community is here to listen and support you in your experience Heart

It's unreal to think to be gay was once illegal, very dark times.

Thanks eth

@Former-Member @Jynx  @Former-Member  @Schitzo @Adge @Former-Member  @eth  and everyone. 👋🏻👋🏻👋🏻

@Fluttershy1im worried about that too

Since @Maggie  has said Hi, I will too 🙂

Hey @Former-Member @Adge  and everyone else - I'm happy to talk about this 'stuff' any time, I encourage you to reach out to me.  I'm usually around the A long rave thread during the week or the Saturday Soiree - all welcome!!  most Saturdays.  I'm a safe ally.

@Former-Member welcome! Agreed Heart I do hope it is easier for young people in the current climate. I do hear there's still issues in some rural areas but hopefully we are half way there.

@Adge wrote:

Thanks @Former-Member @eth

In answer to previous question - Social isolation & Stigma (even fear of violence), are major impacts on MH for Trans-identified people.

Possibly similar for others also.

Adge

Yeah it's so unfortunate how ostracised we are. I have the privelege of 'passing' (which means that people see me as female, even though I'm not) meaning that I am not usually the target of transphobic violence. I get misgendered all the time which is its own struggle, but I know that MH issues, suicidality, and being targeted for violence and discrimination are all much higher for trans people. 

Hi @NatureLover  and @Maggie  👋

Connect With Us

Contact Us

50 Barrack Street, Hobart Tas, 7000
(03) 6215 4200
info@hobartcitymission.org.au