Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // LGBTQIA+ & Mental Health // Tues 29th September, 7-8:30PM AEST

Yes!!

Re: Topic Tuesday // LGBTQIA+ & Mental Health // Tues 29th September, 7-8:30PM AEST

Hearing you loud and clear @Jynx  - between happy and safe - a choice no-one should EVER have to make, yet for some people it's a constant reality.  

@Former-Member 

that's just horrible. I'm disgusted if I understood this right, that a counselor said that to you. How ignorant and discriminatory. I'm on the spectrum and that's just wrong.

Oh gosh @Former-Member did you shop around for another counsellor ๐Ÿคฆโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿคฆโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿคฆโ€โ™€๏ธ Yeah we can confirm "aspergery" is not in the dsm hahah. Thanks for sharing, I love your insights aka "tangents" ๐Ÿ™‚

๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ Agreed Heart @eth 

@ethSaid: Is it really so hard for our society to just let people be their authentic selves both in public and in private??? That's what I wish for everyone.

Me too.

If it wasn't for the whole "Having to Pass as Fully female" business/ expectation - I would possibly be wearing a Skirt or Dress (maybe even Lipstick, who knows) in Public....

Adge

@Former-Member 

Yeah, unfortunately - he was baaad (I only went once), called me "aspergerY" and told me I had the posture of a "pre-pubescent child" and should sit up straight to highlight my boobs more....

I would've reported it now but it was years ago, abroad, I just never went back but he was a real treat...my dad (I don't know him) is also from another country than myself and this counsellor described his nationality as a "firey people" and suggested I "find my fire"

Just...facepalm

(Wouldn't rule out I maybe am on the spectrum, I think my mom and grandfather would be as well but it's not something that's causing me problems)

Everyone @Former-Member @eth @Rebel @Former-Member & others - Whoa, learning so much and really appreciating the realness in each post Heart We are flying here so I am going to jump to Question 3 now.

For those of us who do not identify as LGBTQIA+, what are some ways we can support this community as allies? If you do identify as LGBTQIA+, what are some things that would be helpful for you to see/hear from your allies?

giphy (2).gif

Bye all, it was lovely to see you tonight and hear & learn from you. I'm a bit overwhelmed now, so I'll take a break. I'll catch up in the morning, my head is hurting, I'm tired and upset. Talk soon x

@Former-Member wrote:

Kind of a tangent but relates to gender and the minimal wardrobe...I've been called Aspergery (which...you know...is not a thing...and that was from an actual counsellor) from time to time and a friend commented that they "just mean you don't show typical female qualities"...like having a passion for fashion I guess

So silly ha

Wow, yeah I have many autistic friends who would have a lot to say about this. 

Incidentally, there's actually a correlation between transness and being neurodiverse. The research is still in its early days but a friend of mine once described it as "It's hard to be put into a particular box when I can't even see the box." 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Connect With Us

Contact Us

50 Barrack Street, Hobart Tas, 7000
(03) 6215 4200
info@hobartcitymission.org.au